Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A primer on leveraging PR for the trade press, and beyond...

In my experience, public relations is something of a polarizing issue; some people express outright contempt for the notion and its practice, while many others recognize it is a key to business success. I can honestly say that I have learned a lot about PR over the past 17 years... and at times, I completely agree with both opinions. As such, I have absolute respect for anyone who can help others better understand the often subtle and misunderstood nuances of PR. Although I have been made to gasp upon encountering many of the general/short pieces I've recently seen which are supposedly aimed at educating people about PR, one article I recently found entitled "10 Tips for Working with the Trade Press" is an excellent primer for anyone interested in leveraging PR for their business. The thoughtful piece was written Bob Milroy of Alexandar Marketing Services, and appears on The Navigator, a newsletter from Bacon's Information Inc., a leading source of data and integrated service solutions for the marketing and PR industries.


Many of the companies I've worked with over the years have been eager to jump right into the pages of The New York Times, The LA Times, The Times (of London), The Wall Street Journal, etc. Personally, I've found that one of the best ways to position an emerging company for that type of coverage is to mount and maintain a solid editorial presence in the company's trade media, which can then serve the company when it's ready to step into the major league spotlight. Mr. Milroy's piece provides some sterling advice to get external communications initiatives into high gear.