Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ramp up to get down on social networks...

Social networks aren't new to me, and yet, it seems that every few days, things are changing so much within these virtual gathering spots that one really needs to make an effort to stay educated. If you find yourself in the same boat, I suggest paddling your way over to this recent, comprehensive PC Magazine feature: "MySpace Nation" by Cade Metz.


Cade's story clarifies many of the overall aspects of the most popular social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook, and also helps readers to understand why, if we're using social networking for business, our time may be better spent on sites like LinkedIn. Personally, although I do make an effort to keep tabs on important innovations at their early stages, I'm not generally an early adopter. However, once something like MySpace has gained critical mass, I usually climb aboard. I've been on LinkedIn.com, Ryze and Flickr for awhile now, but only recently set up my own MySpace account, and I have to admit, I've been having some fun with it. And yet, I was a bit vexed when I found my friend Saam Gabbay online and sent him a MySpace email, as his reply put me on the spot with, "What are you doing on MySpace?" Just a heads-up to let you know, if you decide to spend your time on MySpace, it might be a good idea to ask yourself that very question.