Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Second thoughts....

When I set up a profile on MySpace earlier this year, I quickly found one of the more hip friends I have in the world, Steph Jorgl. When I sent her a note and a friend invite, she wrote back, "Welcome to MySpace! When will you be joining Second Life? I'm Steph Radio there...." With that introduction to Second Life (SL), although I have yet to join the fray, I have been watching the many developments inside the online 3D digital world with interest. And discussing SL with an 18-year-old friend over the Thanksgiving holiday, he had one word to describe it: "Crazy."


Thanks to MarketingVOX for their amazing recent story on how entrepreneur Anshe Chung has made over a million dollars from her initial $9.95 investment to open a SL account. That story, the May issue of Business Week it alludes to where Chung's avatar graces the cover , and the Nov. 17 Financial Times feature from James Harkin make it very clear that anyone interested in the intersections of marketing, science, entertainment and technology needs to bone-up on SL. With that in mind, I highly recommend this feature from Ian Schafer on ClickZ entitled "Second Guessing Second Life." Ian provides a great overview of SL's economics and key statistics, as well as a great user's guide written from a savvy marketing perspective. May we cross virtual paths again very soon, Steph Radio, before you ride off to the next next thing....