Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Interns offer free help, and possibly the key to your future success...

A great story from Pete Blackshaw recently appeared on ClickZ.com under the headline of "Ten Great Marketing Insights From My Summer Intern." I was immediately hooked, as I have often recommended to my clients and colleagues that they address man-power challenges by putting interns to work, and then giving those interns some tough but potentially rewarding assignments. I've personally seen this approach yield great results for all parties, and I have fond, appreciative memories of every intern I've ever had the pleasure of working with.


Mr. Blackshaw's article is really interesting and well written, so be sure to check it out for more detail on the lessons and insights I paraphrase here, which he has reaped from a summer intern he affectionately refers to as Chandler from Cincinnati:
. Google is perceived simultaneously as being both Big Brother and Cool Older Cousin, so to speak
. Facebook is now, MySpace last week
. Friends give you social credibility
. Sharing news or info that's not new makes you a dud
. Web 2.0 offers the ability to manage info overload, and that's very important to the Chandlers
. Your career accomplishments define you
. Chandlers love Wikipedia
. Brands seeking social interaction/discourse need to keep it simple and not be heavy handed -- or else suffer the consequences
. Chandlers also love open source