Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Worth watching: The Colbert Report, June 25, 2008

I recently had a wonderful opportunity to go talk with my daughter's first grade class about what I do for a living. Looking beyond just providing them with a job description, I seized the moment to let each of them know how thankful I am to have a job and a life that I truly love, and I tried my best to encourage them to find the things they love to do so that as their lives roll along and opportunities arise, they'll be ready to pursue them. Recently on cable television's Comedy Central, we all had a chance to see three individuals whom I feel have all taken this mantra to heart... on the June 25 episode of The Colbert Report, when Stephen welcomed Pulitzer Prize-winning architecture journalist and author Paul Goldberger, as well as Nova science NOW host and astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.


During the show, which is currently available on the official site here, Mr. Tyson's intelligence and charm is charasmatically applied to quirky questions regarding his work on Nova science NOW, and Mr. Goldberger delivers unique insights into the quest to rebuild the former site of New York's World Trade Center. For his part, as usual, Mr. Colbert intellectually monkeys around with these accomplished gentlemen in the highest of spirits -- in ways that manage to lift their important points to new heights. Clearly, these guests of honor and their host are fully enjoying themselves, having from all appearances completely followed the brilliant advice of Confucius and many others since him who have wisely counseled us all to do what we love, and to love what we do.